River Rock Academy

River Rock Academy


Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

  Home »

Our Mission »

School Calendar »

Informational Video »

Bullying Prevention »

   » FAQs

Newsletter »

Administrative Staff »

Careers »


amity Campus »

Carlisle Campus »

Lancaster Campus »

Newville Campus »

Red Lion Campus »
Shiremanstown Campus »

Sinking Spring Campus »

Spring Grove Campus »

Day Treatment Campus »

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Will my child have homework?
A: River Rock Academy and Day Treatment do not assign nightly homework. Students are given ample opportunity to complete all assigned work during class time. On occasion, however, homework may be assigned as part of a transition period back to the public school setting.

Q: Will my child earn a high school diploma?
A: Any grades and credits earned while at River Rock Academy or Day Treatment will transfer to the home school district. This ensures that high school students can remain on-track to graduate despite any time spent out of the public school setting. Students also have the opportunity, with school district approval, to recover credits.  Seniors graduating from River Rock Academy will receive a certificate of graduation from River Rock Academy and a high school diploma from their home school district.

Q: How can my child attend River Rock Academy?
A: All River Rock Academy students are referred through their home school districts. River Rock Academy does not accept court-referred children.

Q: How can my child attend River Rock Day Treatment?
A: All River Rock Day Treatment students are referred through their home school districts, county juvenile probation and county children and youth.

Q: Does my child need to bring notebooks, pencils and supplies?
A: River Rock Academy and Day Treatment students do not need to bring these items. All students will be provided with the necessary supplies.

Q: Will my child receive counseling?
A: River Rock Academy and Day Treatment staff provides individual, group and behavioral counseling. Intensive psychological counseling will not be provided and recommendations will be reviewed with the student, family and school district.  River Rock Academy students participate in a therapeutic classroom setting daily.

Q: What type of academic course will my child receive?
A: Students will be completing their core academic subjects through both teacher-instructed and self-paced curriculum. A large component of River Rock Academy and Day Treatment is the individualized computer-aided instruction that students receive. This enables staff to challenge students on all academic levels.  Students also participate in a therapeutic social skills/life skills curriculum.

Q: Does River Rock Academy provide transportation for my child?
A: Your child is provided with door to door van transportation.  The transportation company responsible for your particular school district will contact you directly the day before your child is scheduled to start school at River Rock Academy.  Many times it may take up to three school days for the transportation company to arrange transportation.  If that is the case, parents may transport their child to and from River Rock if at all possible.

Q: Does River Rock Day Treatment provide transportation for my child?
A: River Rock Day Treatment will provide transportation for your child from home to school on a daily basis. 

Q: I need to take my child out of school early for an appointment. What do I need to do?
A: Please send your child to school with a note from you stating the approximate time you’ll be here to pick him/her up and why.  You will need to come into the building to get your child and he/she will need to be signed out in the office.  If you should forget to send in a note, please call the office to inform us of the situation. If applicable, Day Treatment students must also consult their referral agency (Juvenile Probation or Children and Youth Services) for approval.

Q: Where can I get additional information on River Rock Academy?
A: For more information, please call (717) 208-3349.

Q: Where can I get additional information about Alternative Education for Disruptive Youth?
A: For more information, the following links may be helpful.

  • Pennsylvania Department of Education Alternative Education for Disruptive Youth home page


  • Pennsylvania Department of Education list of licensed/registered schools


© Copyright 2009 River Rock Academy      2124 Ambassador Circle    Lancaster, PA 17603     Phone: (717) 208-3349     Email River Rock Academy